Let's go see the stars [Part two: Tekapo]

Starry night - Lake Pukaki
(credits to my friend, Tadamasa)
The second part of Bo gummy's MV brought me back to Tekapo, a place which I would say I have no fate with. The scenery along the way to Tekapo is just wonderful. I'm not entirely sure if there is a better word to describe our road trip but it really feels like you are out of the world. Is this on planet Earth?

Tekapo trip was on a Saturday in last year's early October. It was our first time here, all three of us. We took turns driving from Christchurch, and arrived there around late afternoon. To be honest, Tekapo is one of the place which I have listed down in my must-go-list a long time ago. But I had too high of an expectation to find out that the Church of the Good Shepherd actually looks so tiny.

Can you spot the church? Hahahah

Snow: Tekapo in early October 2017

Lupins: Tekapo in late November 2017

Can't believe that I've also been here three times. Our first road trip here was just touch n' go as Tekapo was not our ultimate destination. Oh but worth mentioning is the Japanese restaurant -- Gohan, located just beside the lake. Food is great and view is 100%.

My kodomo set

View from inside
There are lots of camping sites here, and the free one is located at Lake Pukaki, about one hour drive from Tekapo. We always looked for FOC campsites, especially at this tourist area with pricey backpackers. The campsite is actually a vast land situated along the lake. They have toilets but they are very hard to find, so just do it the natural way LOLLL. It can get pretty chilly at night, but the view here is spectacular. The stars, oh the stars, look at the stars, look how they glitter for you! See top photo.

Peter's lookout
Lake Pukaki campsite
Lake Pukaki sunrise
Three of us snuggled in Otoe's cosy car for the night (I really think I can get used to living in a car as I can literally sleep soundly everywhere!). And the next morning we woke up early to catch the sunrise and bought fresh salmon for the day's adventure. To be honest, I could stay here all day just staring at this panoramic view. Highlight of the day was at Hooker Valley Track, where I couldn't contain my happiness as the track is just.too.beautiful. It felt like as if I am walking in some wilderness, but feeling extra peaceful and relaxed.

Mt Cook car

At the entrance

Look at the contrast between the cars vs mountain!

And humans vs mountain

The hanging bridge

Majestic mountain

See how fast they walk
We reached the lake!

It was an easy walk. I have not realised how far my legs can bring me, but I will continue walking as long as they are functioning. And if I've never been to NZ, I'd never know that I will fell in love so deeply with Mother Nature. We feasted on the box of salmon at the lake, enjoyed the view and took lots of photos.

Super fresh alpine salmon

Bliss 
Otoe's sheep

Me getting wobbly on the hanging bridge

Take 1

Take 2

Okay I must really go back there someday. I'm really lucky to have travel mates exploring the beauty of NZ together with me. And to think how I managed to survive without a car for 9 months. I've met many life saviours there :)

***

My second time here was on the way to Cromwell. We left Christchurch after a good long stay, and headed down South for cherry season. Summer came, and weather was blazingly hot. I missed the snow capped mountains in winter. The funny thing is that this time we came for the lupins. BUT I was actually quite fed up with this flower after planting them back in Zealandia. NZ people call them pests, as they grow around without control. They have nice colours though, yellow, pink, purple but they have no scent.

And yes you can see them everywhere. Not just in Tekapo, but on roads, highways, even at someone else's backyard, or in the supermarket. Lupin season usually lasts for 2~3 weeks so you need to catch their timing! Stargazing, on the other hand is an all year thing. But I think this activity is for serious star lovers, as you can simply see millions of stars at night with naked eye. Tekapo is famous for stargazing as it is an international dark sky reserve, which means light pollution is very little here, hence more amount of stars are visible.

To reach Mt John Observatory, you have to pay a fee of NZD8 per car, so it's best to share one car up. The road is only open for certain hours, and there is no access at night. The only way to be there at night is by signing up for the stargazing tour. See, it's a tourist trap. They have different packages, but you have to pray for good weather as the fees are kinda pricey plus non-refundable. (i.e., if weather is bad/gloomy and the stars are not visible, they will turn it into an indoor documentary tour instead). For postcards, you can either get them at the Astro cafe itself, or at the petrol station right opposite Lake Tekapo (cheaper and less known!)

Blossoming lupins
Stargazing tours

Mt John Observatory

Astro cafe

Galaxy postcards and collaterals

Yummy food

Lookout from Mt John

My story with Tekapo is an unbelievable one. I was supposed to be starting my new job as a housekeeper at a 5-star hotel there, which I would then have the chance to extend my work visa to stay in NZ longer. This is another long, complicated series of stories, but to sum it up, my bus went off without me, and in the end I've decided that it was not my destiny to go there. 

Tekapo is a small town, once my choice to temporarily settle down and live independently all by myself. Hah, I have to keep reminding myself not to decide things too quickly next time. The last I've seen her beauty was this year's January with my sister. She does not have the luck because the weather was bad and the lake colours failed to impress. I still will, forever remember this place that taught me an unforgettable life lesson.

... and I will be back for the stars :)

Posted by dawrayn.

Comments

Popular Posts